From: steve.wray at paradise.net.nz (Steve Wray)
Subject: Cryptome Hacked!

Sticking my neck out, I'd say that the *best* method would be;

0. Be familiar with your OS and with the programming
language in which the software is written and

1. Go over the source code line by line inspecting the
whole thing.

2. If you don't have access to the source don't trust it,
no way no how.

Ok that was the dead serious part.

3. If people you know and trust have access to the source that
may mitigate failure at (2), but only marginally.
You need a face-to-face relationship with the parties you trust
and who have access to the source; email or other internet
relationships do not count.

(Ok so certain types of psychopath can reliably lie and fool even
the clinically paranoid. Yup, even people who are psychotically
paranoid can be lured into disclosing their bank details by
a 'creative psychopath'.)

So if you want to be able to trust it only personal inspection
of the source will do.

You *did* say "high level of trust"

Personally I don't feel a need for this level of paranoia. Phew
I can live my life and not feel concerned about the conversations
they have about me on the TV. The ones that noone else can hear.
Mwahahahaaaaaa