From: bri at ifokr.org (Brian Hatch)
Subject: Stunnel: RSA timing attacks / key discovery

Release Date:          2003-Mar-21
Package:               stunnel
Versions:              Stunnel 3.x    x <= 22
                       Stunnel 4.x    x <= 04
Problem type:          Key discovery / Information Leakage
Exploit script:        None publicly available
Severity:              High
Network-accessible:    yes
Network-accessible:    yes
Discovery:             D. Boneh, D. Brumley
Writeup:               Brian Hatch <bri@...nnel.org>

		       are vulnerable to timing attacks which could
		       allow a cracker to discover your private RSA key.

   Stunnel is an SSL wrapper able to act as an SSL client or server,
   enabling non-SSL aware applications and servers to utilize SSL encryption.

   Dan Boneh and David Brumley have successfully implemented an RSA
   timing attack against OpenSSL-enabled SSL software, including
   Stunnel.  Their writeup is available at
   http://crypto.stanford.edu/~dabo/abstracts/ssl-timing.html

Impact:

   If you use an RSA key for an SSL server, a determined cracker could
   eventually determine your key.  This could be used to impersonate
   your server via a man-in-the-middle attack, or to decrypt all SSL
   connections between client and server that can be sniffed/etc from
   the cracker's location.

Mitigating factors:

   The timing attack works best under situations where there is little
   or no network lag, such as over a localhost connection.  If the
   attacking host is more distant that network packets have a larger
   range of turnaround times may make the attack less successful.
   However a very slow CPU on the Stunnel server (which would process
   the RSA number crunching more slowly) may counteract the network lag.

   The number of connections an attacking host must make to discover
   the key is rather large, enough that you may well notice the increase
   in your CPU usage, number of available sockets, or volume of log
   messages spewing through your system.

Solution:

   * Recompile OpenSSL using the patch[1] they have supplied and then
     recompile Stunnel.

   or

   * Apply the patch for Stunnel 3.x available at
     http://www.stunnel.org/patches/desc/blinding-3.x_bri.html

     or the patch for Stunnel 4.x available at
     http://www.stunnel.org/patches/desc/blinding-4.x_bri.html

     and recompile Stunnel.

   I expect Stunnel 4.05 and 3.23 will be released which incorporate
   these or similar patches.

For more information about Stunnel, consult the folowing pages:

   http://stunnel.mirt.net/    # Official Stunnel home page
   http://www.stunnel.org/     # Stunnel.org: FAQ/Distribution/Patches/Etc

Discovery:

  The code to successfully perform an RSA timing attack against Stunnel
  was created by David Brumley and Dan Boneh.  Here is the original
  email they sent to the Stunnel mailing list on 13-Mar-2003.