From: poirotsj at info-integrity.com (Steve Poirot)
Subject: RE: Rijndael

  There were some requirements concerning the algorithm's ability to run
in confined environments, with regard to both memory and processing
power.  I believe the ability or run on a smart card was one of the
concerns.  Here's a link to a report on the selection process, including
how the various algorithm's came out against the original evaluation
criteria: http://csrc.nist.gov/CryptoToolkit/aes/round2/r2report.pdf