From: rms at computerbytesman.com (Richard M. Smith)
Subject: Break-in discovery and forensics tools

Log files are used fairly often nowadays in both criminal investigations
and trials.  Here are some examples from the past few years:

E-Mail Trail To Pearl Suspects
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/05/08/world/main508294.shtml

Philippine ISP cooperating with FBI in virus probe
http://news.com.com/2100-1001-240089.html

Tracking Melissa's alter egos
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-11-514231.html

Arrest made in Bloomberg story hoax
http://news.com.com/2100-1023-224500.html?legacy=cnet&tag=st.ne.1002.src
hres.ni

Emulex hoax suspect bond set at $100,000
http://news.com.com/2100-1033-245239.html

A person can't be convicted of a crime just because of log files, but
they certainly can be used in a trial to tell part of the story of a
crime.

Richard