From: se_cur_ity at hotmail.com (morning_wood)
Subject: Re: IRCXpro 1.0 - Clear local and default remote admin passwords

Scenario of a remote compromise via IRCXpro cleartext passwords.

System: NT / Win2k
Small Lan Toploogy

System A. = webserver
System B = ircd

System A is connected to net running bigsite.com
System A is compromized with a lowlevel password / user alowing file read
access
Attacker uses lan to read cleartext passwords in settings.ini
ALL ACCOUNTS NOW COMPROMIZED.

need there be more?
as an addendun
If you previously used IRCXplus ( little brother ) old passwords are stored
at
HKEY_USERS\*\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\IRCplus\Remote

there is no excuse for a plaintext passsword in an .ini file period. Any
computer with multiple users is vunerable to password discovery and
disclosure. hint - hash yer pass

Donnie Werner
http://exploitlabs.com