From: nick at virus-l.demon.co.uk (Nick FitzGerald)
Subject: MSN fake login website

w g <xillwillx@...oo.com> wrote:

> i put in my username and password ...

Your real username and password somewhere?

That was a bit silly, no?

> ... and nothing happened...i think
> its broken ..

"nothing"??

When I tried it (with bogus data) I was told by the nice folk at
http://www.response-o-matic.com/ that:

   Service blocked due to spam or other abuse

   It's unfortunate that a few people choose to abuse FREE services
   like our Response-O-Matic. The reality is that this sort of abuse
   costs us tons of money and resources, which is one reason why we
   need to carry advertising. You can do your part in the fight
   against spam by responding to our advertisers' offers, like the
   one below:

   <<snips ads, etc...>>

However, saving the page locally, changing the "your_email_address"
field in the form to my own, loading this changed page, filling in
the login form (with bogus data) and submitting it, it seemed to
"work" OK (insofar as I claim to understand the service offered by
the Response-O-Matic folk).

Thus, I concluded that the Response-O-Matic folk have also received
complaints about this spam (?) and acted more quickly then the Yahoo!
GeoCities abuse folk, specifically blocking normal processing of
their rom.pl CGI used by the fake form on the fake page:

   form name="passwordform"
   action="http://www.response-o-matic.com/cgi-bin/rom.pl"

_if_ it is submitted with the "your_email_address" field set to that
used by the bogus MSN8 signup page.  That is, Response-O-Matic no
longer Email the data from the submission of that form to
dna_cta@...oo.com...

> ...  i should mail microsoft and tell them about the bug

"bug"??  What bug?

I hardly see the possibility that some users are so dense as to
mistake a GeoCities page for a valid MSN login page as a bug or as
something Microsoft can do anything useful about...  The Yahoo!
and/or GeoCities abuse@... addresses, and in this case also that of
Response-O-Matic (though they've apparently already acted on this, so
perhaps save them the extra grief for now...) are the places to get
useful action on this incident.

--
Nick FitzGerald
Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.