From: pauls at utdallas.edu (Schmehl, Paul L)
Subject: [OFFTOPIC] Zone Alarm

Here's a question for you.  Which would you prefer?

1) An uninformed user plugs in a router and thinks they are now safe
from any and all exploits without having to do anything else - ever.
2) An uninformed user who downloads and installs a PFW and then
discovers that all sorts of applications he's been running want to
"contact" the Internet.  Now he has to decide what's good and what's
bad.  Oh, and he's also being notified when something tries to access
his machine, which *might* make him paranoid but will *certainly*
increase his awareness.

I'd rather have number 2.  At least he will learn something.  You seem
to think that routers are plug and forget.  That's a dangerous
assumption.  Others have indicated that they think that being NAT'd is
the answer to security.  That's another dangerous assumption.

At least with the PFW the user is going to be exposed to the bad stuff
that goes on all the time.  Perhaps then, when they *do* get a router,
they'll realize that they can't just plug it in and forget it exists.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@...allas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member