From: smcmahon at eiv.com (Shawn McMahon)
Subject: Re: USDOJ BRAINWASHING TECHNIQUES

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 05:29:05PM -0600, Philip Stortz said:
> what's annoying is that they think kids are that stupid and simplistic in the first place, and that in fact they want people to be simplistic and see things in black and white.  i wonder if they see the irony of the carnivore and other such systems, which usually don't remove data, but certainly violate privacy and commit the very same crimes they say you should not.  the fbi and cia hack into every system they can, including other government agencies like social security, and they hack into medical records when they want, sure it's legal, but does that make it any less wrong and repellent?  isn't it specifically the government and private business that most people want to protect their medical and financial information from?  those are the only people i care about, my friends already know, any employer i remotely trust knows (my last employer certainly did, because i trusted him and i made that decision).

First, please wrap your lines.  See RFC 1855.

Secondly, yes, the fact that something is legal DOES make it less
repellent.  Kidnapping is illegal, but apprehending criminals and
putting them in jail is not repellent.  Spying on your neighbor's phone
calls is repellent; executing a wiretap warrant isn't.

What's amazing to me is that you make this black-and-white moral claim
in an email in which you are decrying black-and-white morals.

--
Shawn McMahon     | Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill,
EIV Consulting    | that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any