From: smcmahon at eiv.com (Shawn McMahon)
Subject: Destroying PCs remotely?

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 05:24:40PM -0400, JT said:
> Please explain to me how a senator proposes a law without first "thinking
> about it" "blowing off steam about it" etc etc. Either way, what you learned

Why would I bother to do that, when it's not relevant to the discussion
at hand?

> Let's take a look at some of the stuff he's been up to that doesn't affect
> you:
>
> He was co author of the DMCA, and also responsible for the Copyright Term
> Extension Act, or CTEA.

Which was passed by the Senate, not solely by Hatch.  I'm voting against
anybody who voted for it; are you?  That's how a Republic works.

> He also was responsible for a bill that would have extended the term of the
> patent for Claritin, as he use Schering-Plough's corporate jet when he was
> running for president.

Which would have been passed by the Senate, not solely by Hatch.

> He is also a backer of the patriot act, legislation that made it easier for
> the FBI to use Carnivore, and other legislation that erodes our civil
> rights.

Which I favor.  On balance, it's a good law.  He who would give up
essential security for temporary liberty shall have neither.  The
Patriot Act amounts to short-term inconvenience for a few, that the many
might live.  Hard to enjoy liberty and the pursuit of happiness without
life.

--
Shawn McMahon     | Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill,
EIV Consulting    | that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any