From: cherot at appliedmessaging.com (Christopher F. Herot)
Subject: Re(2): Windows Messenger Popup Spam on UDP Port 1026

This is essentially what RCN is doing.  Like Shawn McMahon, I found
myself paying another $20 a month for the privilege of not having port
80 blocked and my IP jerked around at random.  This is annoying but at
least better than Comcast/AT&T/MediaOne/Cablevision which prohibits
"servers" as if somehow only the annointed should serve up content and
everyone else should sit passively as web potatoes and just absorb what
they give us.  Eventually they will realize that if they want broadband
to take off they will have to get out of the way and let the users try
applications other than web surfing.

> What I don't get is, why don't ISPs exploit the fact to make profit?
> Why not sell different customized accounts, one for "dummy and his
> grandma", with everything closed except 80, 25, 110; and one for ye
olde nerde, with a customizable firewall hosted at the ISP?