From: vogt at hansenet.com (vogt@...senet.com)
Subject: AW: Windows Messenger Popup Spam on UDP Port 10
	26

> > Due to widespread abuse, many ISPs have moved to block
> >inbound traffic on UDP port 135. It appears the spammers
> have adapted,
> >so ISPs are urged to block UDP port 1026 inbound as well.
>
> A professional ISP does not block any port. Blocking ports
> can only be done on the customer side. The ISP does not know
> which port i might need.

This isn't about you. The ISP also has a responsibility to protect
the internet at large. If millions of spam are sent each day because
the average user is too stupid to close off his proxy, then the
ISP can either shut him down, or block the proxy port. Obviously,
shutting down isn't an option for business reasons.

> If the customer is too stupid to even use a (personal)
> firewall then it might be better not to use the internet.

I agree. However, that is not a serious option anymore. Fact is: Every
dummy and his grandma are using the Internet today. You won't be able
to change the fact, so we will all have to find ways to minimize
the damage.

Tom Vogt