From: peter at bank-connect.com (Peter van den Heuvel)
Subject: Microsoft Cries Wolf ( again )

> The ZDNet article hit the point right on the head.  It is irresponsible to
> leave the vendor uninformed before going public.

I find all these posts on irresponsible behaviour a bit surprising.
Driving through a red light is irresponsible, blowing oneanothers heads
out with firearms is irresponsible (and USA citizens seem to be
cunningly good at that), and still it happens. The problem is not going
away, so face it and learn to live with it best you can.

So, lets make it illegal! Yeah, like that ever solved a problem. It
would make more sense to research a bit more into why people do this,
how they could be convinced to be more social, and most particularly,
how the process of "decent" disclosure could be facilitated. None of the
recent attempts of the industry countermeasures look very productive. In
the mean time, one can of course fall back to calling the exploit
publishers stupid idiots. There are no doubt people who believe that
this is effective and will convince the subjects to adopt the opposed
position.

May I suggest the "industry" opens up a hall of fame page for hackers
who have found exploits, that they commit to a reasonable policy
regarding published exploits, that they ask the community what they
consider reasonable, that they develop a corparate control and
communications structure to deal with such issues in a technically
effective way (instead of a legally ineffecyive way), that they learn to
understand how these exploits are unvieled and adopt the technology to
scan products before they hit the market, that they start facing the
consequences of their behaviour and inadequacy instead of trying to kill
the messenger. Ah well, guess not.

Peter