From: nick at virus-l.demon.co.uk (Nick FitzGerald)
Subject: Email marketing company gives out questionable
 security advice

"Richard M. Smith" <rms@...puterbytesman.com> wrote:

> Last week, I received an unsolicited email message from Mobil Travel
> Guide about their new online service.  In the message, I was encouraged
> to turn back on ActiveX and scripting in Outlook in order to view a
> Flash movie embedded in the message.  Needless to say, I thought this
> was a terrible idea.  ...

Indeed...

> ...  Instead, I wrote the company who created the ad,
> Digital Produce (http://www.digitalproduce.com), saying they were giving
> out bad security advice and they should stop doing this sort of thing
> in future mailings.
>
> I got a reply from the company this week basically saying that they
> agree with my concern, but not my solution.  Instead they decided to put
> a little security warning on their "real media fix" page.  This fixer
> page can be found here on their Web site:
>
>    http://www.digitalproduce.com/site_resources/pdfs/outlookfix/
>
> I think the warning message is pretty lame and misleading.  Microsoft
> released the Outlook Security Update a few years back because anti-virus
> software wasn't stopping email worms.  Turning back on ActiveX and
> scripting only encourages the virus writers.

Yep.

The "correct" solution to this "problem" -- if you accept the general
notions that IE is a reasonable choice of web browser and that it's
security zone mechanism provides adequate protection --- is that the
active content should be indirecty linked.  That is, the message
should link to a web page containing the active material.  Then, if
the message's recipient chooses to brose the page and thus take the
attendant (although generally entirely obscured) security risks, thay
can.  This greatly reduces the exposure surface, assuming that a
small proportion of message recipients actually click through the
link (and should greatly reduce the mail sender's network bandwidth
usage). It also greatly reduces the "active mail" peddlers' need to
become "security advisors" -- a role they clearly are very ill-
prepared to accept and when they do whose "advice" is likely to be of
dubious value if mass-mailing ative-content advertisements id the
modus operandi.  Even if all recipients of their messages click
through, only a small-ish proportion will have been sufficiently wary
to have customized their "Internet" security zone to prevent such
active conetnt "playing", and most of those who have will probably be
quite able to make the determination whether the site hosting the
material is "trustworthy enough" to add the site to their "Trusted
Sites" security zone so the content can be played.

Of course, the huge proliferation of active-content Email and the
continuing promotion of "active-content Email focussed" products
(such as IncrediMail and others) means that there is a large userbase
with an expectation that such mail should be available.
Unfortunately, this expectation is usually layered atop a general,
but unstated, assumption that "of course it's safe -- they would not
[or even _could not_] have made it available previously if it were
not".  Thus, the age old problem of removing some functionality from
a product because it turned out to be a completge security disaster
(or for whatever other reason) at the risk of alienating a large
chunk of your userbase arises.

I think it was brave of Microsoft to have changed the default
security zone settings of IE, OE and Outlook from their initial dire
settings and I do give MS credit for that.  However, I also wish they
had gone further and simply removed the ability to re-enable the
"please shoot me in the foot" options from the products.  This would
have sent a much stronger, and greatly needed, message to the
userbase and to those whose business model is essentially based on an
assumption of corruption of human decency.

> (As an aside, the Xbox division of Microsoft is also a customer of
> Digital Produce.  I wonder if any Xbox ads gave out this same bad
> security advice?)

Presumably, at least if those ads were relatively recent, for as you
say, the recent-ish changes in security settings in MS's dominant
Email clients must be starting to bite the "Digital Produce"s of the
world.

> OTOH, it's not too hard too understand where Digital Produce is coming
> from.  According to a recent article in Internet News, only about 30% of
> email users can view rich media email.  ...
<<snip>>

Is that article available online?  Could you post a URL to it?

> Along these same lines, images in HTML email messages will be the next
> thing to go.  The upcoming versions of Outlook and the AOL 9.0 email
> reader will no longer show images in HTML email messages by default.

Cool.

Another sign that someone at MS is concerned its products should
catch up with the feature sets of the truly security aware web
browsers and Email clients...

<<snip>>
> It will be interesting to see how email marketing companies and
> spammers adapt to these technical changes in HTML email.

Well, based on past trends (and assuming that usage of something like
IncrediMail doesn't explode to "fill the gap") they have several
years of "installed base" that seems highly resistant to upgrading,
or even installing any post-Gold security hotfixes or service packs,
to feed off.  This means that IE 5.x Gold and associated OE users
will keep them in business for at least abother three or four
years...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald