From: gabe at landq.org (Gabriel Lawrence)
Subject: Does the Windows AUX bug affect Web servers also?

Yes. It is possible to crash a web server hosted on a windows box using
these "special" files. Usually the vulnerability comes from posting to a
script that attempts to open a file based on the arguments passed to it,
not just by asking for one of these files. (I think IIS isn't dumb
enough to just try them outright anymore... but most people who write
scripts and whatnot aren't aware of this legacy stuff.) I don't know
about different web servers besides IIS, I haven't spent that much time
fooling around with it...

-gabe