From: dbailey27 at ameritech.net (northern snowfall)
Subject: Microsoft wins Homeland Security Bid ( Reuters)

>>I would hope and think that this would give Microsoft
>>more incentive to make their products more secure from
>>the begging.  I see this as possibly being a benefit to all of
>>us (hopefully).
>>

>Agreed!  Customer demand is the only way that we as a community can
>influence the evolution of inherent security controls, whether the target
>of discussion is Microsoft or any other product vendor.

That *shouldn't* be how security intensive situations work. Security
can *not* be an afterthought based on consumer analysis when going
into a forum that is specifically security oriented. Security should
have been built into the product from point of conceptualization.

Microsoft should not win a security bid because it might give them
"more incentive" to make a more secure product. If the product lacks
security the product should not be considered for secure solutions:
case closed. Thinking of this kind is only perpetuating the
problem and disconnecting our community from the solution.

The thought process you present here is akin to giving an ex convict
a gun based on his word that he wont shoot you once he's got it. The
convict must prove that he understands the capability and consequences
of utilizing a weapon in a fashion that negates the fabric of a society
based on freedom and equality.

Don

http://www.7f.no-ip.com/~north_