From: strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu (Dan Stromberg)
Subject: Credit card numbers

On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 10:49, Myers, Marvin wrote:
> Maybe it is only me, but does anyone else notice a big jump in the
> number of merchants that are printing the entire credit card number
> and expiration date on receipts?
>
> Over the past 6 months I have had to educate about a dozen local
> merchants about the possible abuse scenarios that exist with this type
> of information leakage. If there
>
> Is not already some sort of law governing this policy, there should
> be.

I believe there's a patent on the idea of only listing four digits of a
credit card.  So yes, there's an actual financial incentive to do the
wrong thing.

A local grocery store was doing 8 digits for a while - before they went
out of business.  Another shows all of them - they seem to be doing
well.

Shredders are your friends.  But don't let that stop you from
complaining to the merchant in question.  Don't behead the person behind
the counter - but maybe ask them to relay a message to their manager.

On a related note, how do you get web vendors not to store your credit
card # on their hard disks longer than absolutely necessary?  I trust
(ssl data entry * number of orders) a lot more than a merchant's ability
to stay up to date on patches until my card expires.

--
Dan Stromberg DCS/NACS/UCI <strombrg@....nac.uci.edu>