From: chrisp at ngssoftware.com (Chris Paget)
Subject: NEW windows password encryption flaw..

This is not a Microsoft screwup, or any kind of screwup in fact.  It's a
technique called "Hash Chaining", that the guys at Lasec have improved upon.
It's a way of trading off time for memory usage for effectively generating a
table of precomputed hashes; the only flaw here lies in the fact that the hashes
involved are unsalted.  The technique has been around a long time, and is good
against ANY hash function, assuming it's unsalted.  The Lasec guys have found a
few improvements to the standard technique, and written a demo.

(For those who know about hash chaining but can't follow the maths in the paper,
the main improvement is to salt the mapping function with a predictable dynamic
salt, so as to pretty much eliminate chain merging and greatly speed up lookup
times.  Pretty cunning).

I've forwarded the message from Bugtraq below, for the benefit of those who only
subscribe here.

Chris