From: nick at virus-l.demon.co.uk (Nick FitzGerald)
Subject: DCOM RPC exploit  (dcom.c)

Paul Schmehl <pauls@...allas.edu> replied to Ron DuFresne wrote:

<<snip "corporate networks should have no exposure>>
> Are you really serious?  Recall Slammer?  There were networks that were
> locked down pretty tight.  Slammer couldn't get in, right?  Then one
> developer who got his unpatched copy of SQL inside the network, by
> logging in through VPN with his infected laptop, took the entire network
> down.

Or the remote office which was "too small to be worth getting a
firewall for", or the contractor or consultant whose laptops are not
required to meet the same standards as in-house machines brought it in
from home/another site/etc, and so on and so forth...

> You can't get in to our network on those ports either - unless you're
> already in.  But I can guarantee you that we'll be chasing infected
> boxes down for days after the worm hits.  And we've already patched
> everything that we could patch.  ...

Yep...

> ...  I scan for Slammer every week, because
> every week someone new decides to install SQL unpatched or some stupid
> app that has an unpatched copy of MSDE.  Now I'll be chasing the RPC
> worm around too.

It's kinda sad that "Trustworthy Computing" turned out to mean "keep
pouring the same bug-ridden shite, pre-any-service-pack-or-hotfix-or-
any-other-nod-to-security-awareness "redistributables" into everything
that needs them and caveat emptor...

> You can't firewall 135 inside your network or you'd have no network.

8-)

But that's not _quite_ the issue here.

The issue is that DCOM RPC is silently enabled by default, a very small
proportion of Windows users use DCOM, about one in a million of _them_
actually "need" it to be available "remotely", an even smaller
proportion of those with it enabled know it even firking exists and
could be a vector for someone to crap in their shoes, and yet Windows
Server 2003 _still_ shipped with it installing _enabled and bound to
all TCP/IP interfaces by default_.

Let me reiterate, in case anyone missed it already -- no-one at
Microsoft with any clout and any balls understands security.

> The only reason I read lists like this is because I need to know before
> it hits what the next stupid exploit is that I have to deal with.  And
> every one is a royal PITA.  ...

If you want to save yourself much possible pain from this and/or any
other future MS RPC-related nonsense, please read the excellent "how
not to write a trustworthy OS vis network services likely to be
massively unnecessarily exposed to the public sewer known as the
Internet" paper:

   http://www.hsc.fr/ressources/breves/min_srv_res_win.en.html.en

Actually, it goes by the much more prosaic title "Minimizing Windows
network services" and has been updated in recent months to include some
useful, advanced, highly esoteric,  TCP/IP service binding information.
Why MS makes it so hard to disable, or even better, to selectively
configure, the binding of services to TCP/IP (in particular) network
interfaces is beyond me, especially for services that no-one in their
right mind would knowingly expose to the Internet (oh, of course, I
forgot -- MS employs the best programmers so they could _never_ make a
mistake and thereby expose your machine to any unwanted "external" harm
so we should all enable everything and not worry...)

As this has turned into a rant, I may as well throw this in too...

Is it just me, or is there something sinister, or at least seriously
disingenuous, in MS arguing on one hand that software developers _need_
liability exception under the law "because it is impossible to produce
error-free software", yet on the other hand never having shown a hint
of concern that its product's were developed with exceedingly little
recognition of the fact its own developers may make hugely embarrassing
errors?  (Of course, the latter is understandable in light of the fact
that all major legislative bodies have more or less followed the US
governments cowering to the "but we cannot do it well enough" argument
and provided the software development industry with its begged for
liability exclusions...)

OK -- so that was not entirely fair...  Most of the other large
software developers who also lobby for the "we're too lame to make good
software so you'd better legally protect our shoddy products" are
probably similarly disingenuous.

> ...  I put virus and worm writers right there in
> the same pile with spammers.  They're all the scum of the earth.  Clear
> examples of the worst of human nature.

Once upon a time I'd have agreed with you, but of late I feel my
attitudes to these two groups (malware writers and spammers) changing --
I think you should stop being so nice about the spammers...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald