From: pauls at utdallas.edu (Schmehl, Paul L)
Subject: DCOM RPC exploit  (dcom.c)

This is simply and plainly false.  I don't know why people can't seem to
grasp this.  I know of several major corporations who not only had
1434/UDP blocked at the firewall but also on a number of internal
routers *and* had aggressive patching programs, and they *still*
suffered from Slammer.   All it takes is *one* infected box *inside* the
network to negate all the hard work you've done trying to keep the worm
out.

When you have 150,000 machines worldwide, having 1% of those unpatched
(which is a 99% *success* rate) means you have 1500! vulnerable
machines.  Most situations that I'm familiar with were in the tens - not
even the hundreds - but it only took 10 or 15 machines to take down the
entire network due to the nature of that worm.  10 or 15 boxes
represents 1/100th of a percent of the total, yet that small number
could completely destablize a network and cause untold hours of work for
the admins and networking staff.

Now anybody who wants to tell me that a 0.01% failure rate in a patching
program proves the admins are incompetent is simply ignorant of the
issues.  I guess it's just impossible for people who don't actually run
a large network to grasp the nature of the issues.

You build your little home network, you put up a FreeBSD box as a
NAT/Router/Firewall, and you think you understand networking in a large
enterprise?  You haven't a clue.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@...allas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas