From: security at brvenik.com (Jason)
Subject: Avoiding being a good admin - was DCOM RPC
 exploit  (dcom.c)

Thump!! well, I need to start checking my math or my 0s before clicking
send :-(

+1800 more stupid points to me. Guess I will just drink a big ol cup of
STFU and nurse my bump from the clue stick.

The math still holds, you need more contractors but still save a ton
compared to 1/2 day downtime for everyone. Wasn't the downtime more
likely 1-2 days in this case if you were hit anyway.

37,500 systems need touching

6 * 30 = 180 days ( Yeah, that thump hurts my head )

180 - ( 6*8 + 2 ) = 130

500 sites / 6 sites pp = 83 p

6 sites * 75 systems = 450 systems per person

450 pp / 130 days = 3.5 systems per day per person

130 days at .5 days patching = 65 days of lost productivity

65 days at 8 hrs day = 520 hrs

520 hrs at $30 hr burden = $15,600

$15,600 * 83 = $1.3 million in lost time patching

Compared to the very conservative 4 million lost otherwise?

Add another million to the 1.3 mil to hire contractors and you still
save almost 2 million.