From: nick at virus-l.demon.co.uk (Nick FitzGerald)
Subject: Avoiding being a good admin - was DCOM RPC
 exploit (dcom.c)

Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu replied to Jason:

> You can harp on "best practices" all you want - hell, *I* certainly do

8-)

> it enough.  However, you have to come to some realizations here.  All
> "best practices" cost something to implement.  And at some point, the
> cost of prevention is going to exceed the cost of cleaning up.

That does tend to be the way things are now.

In turn, this may be because of Redmond's historic view that "so easy
any idiot can make it work" was _the_ way to do things.  Remember all
that "total cost of ownership" rubbish^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hpromotional
material from back around the time of the Win95 launch through sometime
after NT 4.0 shipped?  What that was about was "we have realized that
many of the  people we really want running this stuff are too lazy/
stupid/etc to learn how to do it properly so we just turned everything
on" (and, credit where it's due, they did improve the installers no end
compared to pevious versions and much of the "competition" -- OS/2 was
arcane in the extreme to install, even on half of IBM's own machines
and most Linux distros were downright painful...).

Of course, that was before the much-heralded chest-beating known as
"Trustworthy Computing".  Reputedly TC means that much of the stuff
that was previously enabled by default (so the 3.917% of users of each
feature wouldn't have to think about looking in a manual or on a web
page to see what they had to do to enable some feature) will now be
disabled "out of the box".  This change (if it really happens!) will
alter the TCO in interesting ways, such that the initial minimum cost
of "designing" anything but the most basic and straightforward desktop
configuration machine will increase (i.e. many of the folk who run
large networks of "out of the box" installs today will actually have to
do some pre-rollout design to justify their pay-checks when Longhorn
(??) eventually hits).  What the longer-term effects on the perceived
additional costs of on-going patching, etc are is very much an open
guess at this point...

<<snip much more good stuff...>>

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald