From: dufresne at winternet.com (Ron DuFresne)
Subject: Avoiding being a good admin - was DCOM RPC
 exploit (dcom.c)

> > Still the best defensive porture is taken at the entrance and exit points
> > as pertains to most all these 'services'.  If the ports 135 and 1433 etc
> > are blocked, both tcp and udp protocols, then patching becomes far less
> > dramatic, even if a few machines inside get infected due to laptops or
> > what have you.  when the flow on the wire for a segment
>
> Perimeter blocking is not everything.
> It's an important part of your security policy, but I think you're
> overstating that.
>
> Is it too difficult to write a worm which will spread through RPC DCOM (this
> is just to stay OT) *AND* mass e-mailing. See that? Mass e-mails ... You can
> have the best port blocking in the world and still be infected in a second.

Cool, perimiter security and forcing users to text only based e-mail
clients liek e-mail was intended <grin>.

> The solution for this is long term improvement of security, strong security
> policies *AND* education.

Eucation works poorly.  Educate you users and then 30 minutes later some
of thm will go to their everything-AND-the-kitchen-sink desktop OS, click
on that same mass mailed exe you just told them not to click on, and
reopen the need to once again re-educte your userbase cycle.  Of course 9
out of 10 times it;s going to be one of the upper mgt folks that pushed
for the employee education project that does the uncondoned clicking of
that exe...

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
	***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.