From: memoxyde at monet.no (martin scherer)
Subject: Microsoft win2003server phone home

> My question:
> 1. Is  this behavior normal for a windows server installation ?

for microsoft? yes.
this behavior can also be seen while installing XP Professional (only one i
tested),
while using netcap or similar programs to sniff packets going in/out of the
network.

> 2.  Could this behavior be considered as a violation of privacy ?
depends on what kind of information is being sent...sounds to me like it's
just checking for activex controllers and codecs, and if there are any
updates..unless there is some evil server behind the fake host, retrieving
all your sensitive information...both could be ;)

> 3.  Could it be considered as a security risk to let a newly installed
server,
> request information from an arbitrary server that I have no control over ?
security in the way that your server might end up getting exploited because
of it?
no, i dont think so..
security in a way that you might get caught using an illegal copy of a
win2003 server?
yup.