From: avalon at caligula.anu.edu.au (Darren Reed)
Subject: Microsoft urging users to buy Harware Firewalls

In some mail from Richard M. Smith, sie said:

> I agree with Microsoft's recommendation for a hardware firewall on all
> home PCs.  A Linksys NAT router box is selling for only $40 at Amazon as
> we speak.  Besides protecting against the MSBlaster worm, a hardware
> firewall blocks those annoying Windows pop-up spam messages which have
> become so common lately.  A hardware firewall also protects a shared
> Windows directory from being accessed from the Internet.  My only
> question is why aren't NAT routers built into all cable and DSL modems.

If that is really Microsoft's position, then what does it say for about
the presence of the "firewall" software that they ship in XP ?

I'm not sure I'd like to be in the engineering group that is responsible
for their firewall software if the company doesn't feel comfortable
enough about it such that it feels like it has to promote using other
firewall devices instead.

Darren