From: jeffdick at covirt.com (Jeffrey A.K. Dick)
Subject: Microsoft urging users to buy Harware Firewalls

"While firewalls are a short term solution, intergrating them into each
windows box does not solve the problem. "

I think that we need to stop looking for a single "solution" ... there is no
silver bullet to be found ... all OS's are insecure and no firewall can
defend against all threats. There are always going to be exploitable
weaknesses. Anybody who says otherwise is either an idiot or is trying to
sell something.

Firewalls are an excellent means of defense -- everyone should have one and
it should be seperate from the desktop OS. However, just as "real" firewalls
do not prevent fires, network firewalls do not prevent security breaches --
they are designed to slow the spread.

"Fixing the OS" is also good -- but if you think that you are ever going to
catch *everything*, then you need to send me some of what you are smoking.

Cheers

JAKD