From: dcopley at eeye.com (Drew Copley)
Subject: Microsoft MCIWNDX.OCX ActiveX buffer overflow

Ah, yes... Looking back on it, I see it now. That is what I get for
looking at the copy of the report. MCIWNDX.OCX was mentioned once, at
the first, and this was cut out of subsequent replies apparently by
mistake.

The issue, btw, sounds like a heap based overflow, as opposed to a stack
based overflow. Generally, these issues can be exploitable, but it can
tend to be very difficult to exploit them universally.

I hope that Microsoft sees this. Visual Studio 6 is still used by an
enormous amount of people, and I am not sure if uninstalling it will
even remove the activex... And regardless, as Thor pointed out and as
Guninski originally noted, these activex are signed. You will have to
click "Okay" still to install them, however, though it will say,
'Approved by Microsoft'.

Unfortunately, Microsoft may not see this post, and they seem to have
ignored the original post you made to security@...rosoft. When they do
not reply, that generally means they could not find the bug, they could
not duplicate it, and they do not know you. Rather rude and
unprofessional. Maybe they can fix this problem.

If they do not see this post, then there will be this effective zero day
out there. 95% of the world uses Internet Explorer according to the
latest stats. With around 400 million internet users and these being -
generally - the wealthiest of the world... This is quite an open door.

Now, back to my fantasies about being a hitman instead of a security
researcher. ;)