From: dbailey27 at ameritech.net (northern snowfall)
Subject: east coast powergrid / SCADA [OT?]

> Anyone wanna comment on SCADA and the "cascading failure" that
> happened today in the north east

    I was thinking about posting something on this, myself.
Speculation as to whether the actual incident was caused from
a massive solar flare. That would make a little sense to me
seeing as here, I saw what looked like oscillation patterns
in various hardware reflectors for almost five seconds prior
to the power out.

    The kind of electromagnetic interference created from a
massive solar flare would produce this kind of static, similar
to an EMP. Though, it was also noted that an internet attack
on SCADA was possible due to the vulnerability in DCOM. I think
it's too soon to say, either way. I suppose a part of me *wants*
to believe it was a solar flare, and not a SCADA scandal.

Don

http://www.7f.no-ip.com/~north_