From: gshively at pivx.com (Geoff Shively)
Subject: east coast powergrid / SCADA [OT?]

> I'd read thru the bugtraq archives on securityfocus.com so you can really
> get a sense of the kinda long standing trouble rpc has been causeing over
> the years, RPC has been a long standing issue, in fact, For the last few
> years, Most places have just started blocking rpc out to the internet and
> given up on securing the protocol. Its caused many a headache to samaba
> (were you can now guess passwords curtosy of rpc) and Windows. With all
the
> vunerabilities that windows goes through, alot of the particulars get lost
> in the grand river of crapulance that is windows security. Ths is the
first
> worm to spread Exclusivly on a RPC exploit. And this Is the worst rpc
> Exploit yet (hell probably the worst windows exploit yet) But by just the
> sheer numbers of Exploits that show up in windows, if the systems doing
> critical monitoring were open to all on the internet, shurly we would
heave
> been seeing outages like this before hand, there have been thousands of
> exploits agianst windows since the monitoring systems went into place.

Correct. We have been working on RPC stuff for as long as I can remember.
even
had a hand in the latest stuff before it became blaster. I was curious if
there was
any other small or medium scale worm that used this in the past few years. I
don't
think there has been, it would have had to been pretty far 'under the
radar'.

Point being its a new beast with new consequences. Slammer and 13k BoFA
ATMS,
flight control systems, etc etc. As these new machines come about new
consequences
are going to appear.

> Well my l33t hax0r ski11z lead me to watch CNN and draw on experience :)

Did u 0wnz0r1z3 yur TeeVee yet? =)

Cheers,

Geoff Shively, CHO
PivX Solutions, LLC