From: dcopley at eeye.com (Drew Copley)
Subject: Re: Administrivia: Testing Emergency Virus Filter..

Yes, now, in these regards, this is true and accurate, thanks.

As far as software goes, I would not argue that the personal firewall
could be not bypassed, as there really is not such a system yet which
protects against process injection and other hooking techniques... Well,
except for some linux tools like systrace. (Granted, tools on Windows
like securewave could, but that prevents anything untrusted from
running).

So, it is difficult to separate, but I believe the OS should be
seperated from the software which runs on it... Which brings us back to
secure class ratings, which your post hints at and which I believe is an
excellent standard as to "how secure our OS" is. (Common Criteria
ratings: http://www.commoncriteria.org/docs/aboutus.html).