From: damian at sentex.net (Damian Gerow)
Subject: Subject prefix changing! READ THIS! SURVEY!!

Thus spake Daniele Muscetta (daniele@...cetta.com) [22/08/03 10:59]:
> >> ALL LIST MEMBERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO RESPOND AND MAKE A CHOICE
> >> AS TO HOW THEY WANT THIS BASIC FUNCTION OF THE LIST TO
> >> CONTINUE OPERATING.
>
> > [FD] would be fine.
>
> If it has to be short for those who use text based MUA, at least leave
> this short one. It should not be such a deal to pass from extra 18 chars
> in the subject to just 5, should it?

I used a text-based MUA.  And I find that I get a few words of the subject,
after I see '[Full-Disclosure]'.

Personally, I /like/ subject tags, but short ones.  So something like [fd]
or [fud] would be fine with me.  But I think that the bulk of this decision
is up to Len and the other moderators.  We've had one vote already, and
since this seems to be a sore point for some folk, why not have another?

> > Regardless, it is much easier to filter based on subject line.
>
> It is indeed easier.
> One can of course also filter on headers, but in my situation - for
> example - I don't filter at a server level (where i don't have access
> myself) but at a client level.

As do, I'm sure, a large number of subscribers/posters here.  I filter at a
client level, yet I *never* filter based on subject.  Too risky of hitting a
false positive.  It's much easier to filter based on Sender: or List-Id: or
whatever ezmlm uses, and gives me a little more peace-of-mind.

> And often I access my mail in IMAP from a DIFFERENT client (webmail,
> anyone?)... and the subject line is very useful in SWIMMING through the
> tons of UNFILTERED messages of this one an other lists, and getting to
> those OTHER messages quicker....

Exactly why subject line tags are important.  I have two places where I read
my mail.  One is filtered, the other can *not* be filtered.  So subject
lines are *extremely* handy in the latter case, but I couldn't care less in
the former.