From: nick at virus-l.demon.co.uk (Nick FitzGerald)
Subject: Authorities eye MSBlaster suspect

"Kristian Hermansen" <khermansen@...technology.com> wrote:

> In my opinion, this is just a sad attempt to deflect responsibility away
> from Microsoft Corporation.  ...

There may be an element of that -- earlier on CNN I saw Brad Smith (I
think), from MS, wringing his hands and complaining about how much it
had cost the company and that theirs was only a small part of the total
trouble this worm had caused.

Almost moved me to tears...  Not!

> ...  Yeah, the kid is quite foolish for making
> himself such an easy scapegoat...
<<snip>>
> The problem is that governments and corporations own the media and this
> story is not going to be represented in a fair way to John Q. Public.  I
> feel very sorry for the kid...he's only in high school and now he'll
> probably have a criminal record (federal).

I'm deeply upset for him...  Not!

What he did was stupefyingly moronic, but he knew full well the likely
outcomes.  He probably underestimated the consequences should he be
caught and the likelihood of such a 1337 h2x0R as himslef actually
being caught (I mean, listing your phone number as +11111111111 -- boy,
that'll sure fool the FBI...).

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald