From: jheidtke at fmlh.edu (Jerry Heidtke)
Subject: Scanning the PCs for RPC Vulnerability

Early versions of the tools from both ISS and eEye had problems with
false positives. These problems seems to be fixed in the most recent
versions. Foundstone and MS are probably running into the same issues
with their first releases. MS probably won't get it right until version
3.1...

Founstone's RPCScan 1.01 looks like it correctly identifies Win9x
computers. Make sure you're using that version. I don't like Founstone's
RPCScan anyway because there's no way to export the results or generate
a report. I use scanms.exe from ISS, and run it through a little perl
program I wrote that takes a list of IP ranges, scans them, and
generates a spreadsheet with the systems it found, the vulnerability
status, dns and netbios names, domain, user, and mac address. This has
been useful it tracking down and disconnecting people who don't want to
patch their systems for whatever reason.

Jerry