From: dcopley at eeye.com (Drew Copley)
Subject: Temporary Fix for IE Zero Day Malware RE: BAD NEWS: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-032

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\MIME\Database\Content Type\application/hta

Changing this makes one immune. If you change this to application/htaOLD, then someone has to use application/htaOLD on you. I would suggest a very long random number/character combination or deletion. As for deletion, the contents are entirely standard and may be brought back easily.

Deletion is the safest avenue.

Our Network Admin asked:
"Will that fully disable execution of html apps (with the
extension .hta)?"

Some network administrators use documents with the .hta extension. Beyond this field, I don't think anyone uses it. Regardless, yes, you may still use hta files -- just they must be identified by having a proper extension. They may not be identified by MIME Type as the bug depends on.

In the vast majority of instances you will find that even with HTA files being transferred over the network, they will not depend or even use the MIME type.

There may be as yet undiscovered variants of this issue which I am unaware of at this time. This fix may not protect against these variants. But, this fix does protect against this variant, so I suggest people use it.

http://www.malware.com/badnews.html

<script>
  var oPopup = window.createPopup();

  function showPopup() {
    oPopup.document.body.innerHTML = "<object data=ouch.php>";
    oPopup.show(0,0,1,1,document.body);
  }

  showPopup()
</script>