From: rgerhards at hq.adiscon.com (Rainer Gerhards)
Subject: Computer Sabotage by Microsoft

> Fact is fact: They updated my dashboard without my written
> permission.

I can understand you frustration of no linux & cracked games anymore,
but "written permission"... Well, well...

As you said "it *finally* happened" ;) If you purchase that blackbox
design, you get what you pay for. Microsoft never said it did these
things that you try to do. While there are good points to blame them, I
think this time it is not. It is simply doing what it was supposed to...

So it's your decision once DRM is out: this is a good example of what
will happen. This, software patents and DMCA (and ist European
counterparts currently being launched) all will bring us a bright and
cozy new IT world....

> This is computer sabotage and it also decreased
> the value of the box, because it doesnt allow executing of
> arbitrary programs anymore. One of the features of the box i
> payed nearly 200 euros for. And I do not see anywhere on the
> box a sticker that says "MS monopoly alert, does only play
> what MS wants"
>
> (ignoring the fact that the XBOX is advertised as playing
> audio cds which is not true with all those CD copy protections in .de)

Actually, those copy protected "CDs" are no CDs at all ;) Try to search
for the CD logo. Here, it is the music industry to blamed (Once upon a
time, I used to purchase CDs but now there is no point anymore as I can
not listen to those things as I listen to music on my computers. I found
it is way more convenient to download "backup copies" off the net than
to purchase the CD, install the tools, rip it...)

I couldn't stand to re-iterate this.

Rainer