From: lists at onryou.com (Cael Abal)
Subject: Blocking Music Sharing.

Ron DuFresne wrote:
> The problem with sites that are not really able to enforce, can be
> somewhat mitigated by a weekly posting of offenders in a pulic place
> within the company halls.

Hi Ron,

I heartily disagree -- if an offense is considered serious enough to
warrant being prohibited in an org's Acceptable Use Policy then there
should be real punishment involved.  If an offense isn't a big deal,
then the AUP should be rewritten.

A Wall of Shame just sets a bad precedent -- a user could argue that the
rules were ambiguous.  "What?  You can't fire me for running that root
exploit!  None of the other rules were ever seriously enforced, our
policy is a joke!"

Besides, posting a weekly notice of offenders is essentially the net
admins admitting, "Okay, we know who is doing what and we don't like it
but we just don't have the power to stop it."  What sort of admins
really want to put out that message?  :)

take care,

Cael