From: nexus at patrol.i-way.co.uk (Nexus)
Subject: Verisign abusing .COM/.NET monopoly, BIND releases new

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Scheidell" <scheidell@...nap.net>

[snip]

> One more interesting thing, if you have a client who has given you ip
> addresses for external testing, and these ip addresses rdns to a domain
> that doens't FWD resolve, you wil end up pen testing verisign's computers.

I don't think so... or, put another way, I hope not ;-)
As any fule kno, part of the <Yank>"Due Diligence"</Yank> process on receipt
of IP ranges from a Client would be to conduct whois type searches to
determine that the Client has indeed not typo'd an IP range or CIDR block.
I've had this happen a few times and a cursory whois + confirmation has
sorted the incorrect ranges before testing actually starts.   Sometimes it's
not even obvious from a whois which is all part of the fun of it.

One hopes that the pen testers you employ also do this... :P

Cheers.