From: brian.dinello at vigilantminds.com (Brian Dinello)
Subject: Re: new openssh exploit in the wild! *isFAKE AS SH@!*

All:

Just to add to the readily growing list of stupid things this "exploit"
does, it set off my Snort IDS when attemping to root my test box.  Looks
like it _may_ actually incorporate some shell code in a REALLY old CRC32
overflow from 2001.  Here's the CVE link, if anyone's interested:
http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2001-0144

And the snort sig that it hit:
alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 22 (msg:"EXPLOIT ssh CRC32
overflow NOOP"; flow:to_server,established; content:"|90 90 90 90 90 90
90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90|"; reference:bugtraq,2347;
reference:cve,CVE-2001-0144; classtype:shellcode-detect; sid:1326;
rev:3;)

And the systems that it _may_ be able to affect/infect:
Affected Systems:
    OpenSSH versions prior to 2.2
    Multiple Cisco network devices
    Multiple Netscreen network devices
    SSH Secure Communications prior to 1.2.31

Needless to say, I doubt anyone will soon be reporting any instances of
this piece of code actually doing anything to a remote host.

Brian Dinello, CISSP