From: jlevitsk at joshie.com (Joshua Levitsky)
Subject: VeriSign's fake SMTP server for SiteFinder

On Sep 22, 2003, at 6:02 PM, Joshua Thomas wrote:

> > But why they wait until the DATA command is a total mystery to me. It
> > seems much more logical to bounce the message after the RCPT TO:
> > command.
>
> <conspiracy theory>
>
> To read our mail?
>
> </conspiracy theory>

They will read our mail when they accept the DATA command and all after
it. This will happen. You will see.

Right now they take in the address of who you are sending to and who is
sending. What a wonderful way to collect valid email addresses. First
the MAIL FROM will be a correct address most of the time. The RCPT TO
will be wrong 100% of the time, but they could employ scripts with some
logic to see things like    user@...scpe.com is really
user@...scape.com and such. Many typos are repeated in the same way by
many people.

Can't wait for the spam to start flowing from that list of users they
are collecting. Of course Verisign will protect their customers from
the spam. That'll be part of the deal with the spammers they sell to.