From: dlhane at sbcglobal.net (David Hane)
Subject: Rootkit

I already run my own database of MD5 checksums on all system files. That's how
I know what files were effected. What I would like is maybe a listing of the
files installed and what directories they went into for the various rootkits.

Obviously the names of the files that were installed are meaningless. So all I
would have to work with would maybe be files sizes, signature text in the
files (as you mentioned), and the directories into which they were installed.
Unless someone can suggest something else. Like maybe a MD5 database of known
"hacked" programs.

Actually that's not a bad idea, in theory. How feasible would a searchable
database of the most common hacked files be? For instance if a hacked version
of ps is routinely installed by several rootkits could we then search that
database and compare the MD5 signatures to list other files routinely used in
conjunction with that app? I know it would be far from accurate but could it
be useful?

dave