From: pauls at utdallas.edu (Paul Schmehl)
Subject: CyberInsecurity: The cost of Monopoly

--On Sunday, September 28, 2003 8:04 PM +0200 Michal Zalewski
<lcamtuf@...ttot.org> wrote:

> I'd argue... many vendors (Okena aka Cisco, BlackICE aka ISS, etc)
> provide integrated corporation-wide mechanisms for enforcing group
> firewalling, access and logging/IDS policies on workstations or groups of
> workstations (and, why not, also servers).

The problem is that you cannot "firewall" the networking protocols.  Okena
and other products like it make a good attempt at stopping attacks, but
they are outrageously expensive for the most part.

I'm arguing that more thinking and planning needs to go in to the
networking part of the equation (not TCP/IP but file sharing/authentication
protocols.)

Paul Schmehl (pauls@...allas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas