From: capegeo at opengroup.org (George Capehart)
Subject: Soft-Chewy insides (was: CyberInsecurity: The cost of Monopoly)

On Monday 29 September 2003 08:23 am, Michael Scheidell wrote:

<snip>

> These fins and jail time will directly target the C/Board level, and
> only indirectly affect the security teams (they may lose their jobs
> when the company they work for goes bankrupt)
>
> Its only a matter of time before the lawyers finish up with big
> tobacco and move on to SARBOX/HIPAA and GLBA work.
>
> > My $0.02.
>
> I'll see you that .02/c and raise you 5 million dollars (the Maximum
> fine under SARBOX)

<cynical grin>  Would that that would really help.  I guess maybe in the
long run it might, but I'm not holding my breath.  There's still the
small matter of connecting cause with effect and then implementing a
program that will function appropriately at all levels of the
organization.  I'll bet a dozen Krispy Kremes that the response of many
Boards and C-level officers will be a knee-jerk "Off with their heads"
followed by a return to business as usual.  It's a lot easier to offer
up a sacrificial lamb than it is to change corporate culture . . . But
it will certianly be interesting to follow . . .  ;-)

Regards,
--
George Capehart

capegeo at opengroup dot org

PGP Key ID: 0x63F0F642		http://pgp.mit.edu
Key fingerprint:  BE7A 9A4A 6A8F 363A BAC5  4866 631B B2F6 63F0 F642

"It is always possible to agglutenate multiple separate problems into a
 single complex interdependent solution.  In most cases this is a bad
 idea.  -- RFC 1925