From: khermansen at ht-technology.com (Kristian Hermansen)
Subject: [inbox] Re: CyberInsecurity: The cost of Monopoly

Just my two cents, but the number of patches does NOT necessarily equate to
platform stability.  If you had more people researching Netware flaws (since
the percentage of people using it is so low in comparison), I'm sure your
theory would deflate.  I'm not saying that Windows is secure in the least,
but I think that every corporation trades off the cost of secure/quality
code for insecure/sloppy feature sets.  The reason that MOST people look to
exploit software/OS's is so that they can gain priviledges on the system.
Windows machines make up 90-95% of the systems on the internet, so people
who discover an exploit for this widely used OS are likely to find a
vulnerable machine which is easily exploitable and has the resources they
want.  Unix/Linux systems are very powerful, and although they don't make up
a large portion of the net, they are widely used as servers, which typically
have vast resourses available by an exploiter.  Novell, on the other hand,
are rare to run into.  How many people on this list have ever owned a Novell
box?  How many have even ever encountered one before?  This is partly the
reason for the lack of security patches.  If there are so few boxes on the
net with relatively little use, why do we need Netware exploits?  They do
exist, but who here has ever used one?  If Netware were as popular as
Windows, I'm sure a whole mess of bugs would be found.  Anyways, that's just
like my opinion...man....(the dude)

Kris Hermansen