From: ggilliss at netpublishing.com (Gregory A. Gilliss)
Subject: User responsibility [was: CyberInsecurity: The cost of Monopoly]

This discussion appears to have ranged into the "should users be required to
be responsible for security" arena. So be it.

First, the people making the car analogies - I live in California, and I
also am a licensed pilot. If the government required people to train, test,
and recertify their driving skills as often as aircraft pilots do, there
would be (a) far fewer drivers, (b) far fewer accidents, (c) far higher fees,
and (d) far less money made by auto makers, insurance companies, tire stores,
etc etc. The people who are making that money want more people on the road,
skilled or otherwise, because tat translates into more money.

What does that have to do with security? Everything...if you believe that
money talks (at least in America). People, corporations, and governments
make decisions that are going to benefit them monetarily. I assert that
is part of why M$ products get shipped out the door untested and with so
many security flaws - because "time to market" equals do re mi money >-)

Having said that, I take the position that all software should be shipped
with few or no known vulnerabilities and with the default configuration set
so that everything is *off* by default. That way users are *forced* either
to learn how to configure and enable what they want, or else to have someone
with a clue do the work for them (another previous argument - job security).

--
Gregory A. Gilliss, CISSP                             Telephone: 1 650 872 2420
Computer Engineering                                   E-mail: greg@...liss.com