From: jimlane at cs.toronto.edu (Jim Lane)
Subject: [inbox] Re: CyberInsecurity: The cost of Mo
 nopoly

Maybe it takes an "old mainframer" to point this out but it depends on what
kind of functional unit you're talking about. I remember the days when, from
the users point of view, the computer was a dumb terminal and all the
intelligence (and security risk) was safely off in a locked room somewhere. We
still had security problems back then but they were a lot easier to deal with.
Yet another case where Bill Bates and his like have a lot to answer for.
Remind me again why client/server was supposed to have been a good idea? Sigh.
Jim Lane                    Question authority:
Sysadmin, CSLab               Amateurs built the Ark,
jimlane@...toronto.edu        Professionals built the Titanic