From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu (Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu)
Subject: Re: Prudent default security

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 09:00:30 EDT, Michael Smith <mike@...e.com>  said:

> I'm expecting that bulk admin tools for windows systems will mature greatly
> over the next year or so.  Hopefully MS will continue to work on the path
> they have set rather than reinventing the wheel and making all current
> system and network administration policies and tools obsolete.

Remember - MS is a *corporation*.  They have *no* reason to change path, unless
by doing so they improve *their* bottom line. If they can crush a competitor
and spur sales with a "new improved" product that changes course, they will.

People keep acting like MS has some moral or ethical obligation to their customers.
They don't.  That's why they engage in behavior that outsiders find revolting - because
said behavior is good for the bottom line.

And the only way to change it is to make the behavior bad for the bottom line (either
in lost sales when a shop goes Linux, or damages in a lawsuit, whatever...)