From: ggilliss at netpublishing.com (Gregory A. Gilliss)
Subject: Has Verisign time arrived ?

People,

I've read through all of these unrelated posts, and I have come to some
conclusions that I am going to share (since this is "FD" and if I don't
like it I can GTFO):

1) many list subscribers are passionate about the current state of global
   geopolitical unrest in addition to being interested in security.
2) there is a large range of didactic and critical discourse available
   to subscribers who can participate or not as they choose.
3) some list subscribers who participate in the discourse are more adept
   than others (who resort to sophomoric vulgarity as often as not).
4) the entire thread is off topic and is acknowledged as such.

While I personally find it entertaining, in the same way that I might, for
example, tune in to watch a boxing match between Rush Limbaugh and Gray
Davis, the discussion does not in any way contribute to my understanding
of security (except for that post about filtering list subscribers - is
that a procmail filter and can I have a copy?) I'm not going to single out
people because I *do* agree with the post that says you can GTFO if you
don't like it. I would, however, like to ask one question and that is,

"Is it not true that many of us came *here* because we didn't like the
content/ moderation/response time/ S/N ratio of *other* lists and we all
wanted a place that we could get out security info undiluted and without
the associated overhead of _____________ <fill in>?"

Basically I'm asking that the very spirited and somewhat entertaining
off-topic political discussions move off of FD.  While I am not necessarily
thrilled to receive yet another Gentoo UNIX hole in my in basket, I would
be much less thrilled if I had to jump off FD and search for yet another
free unmoderated security list with a low S/N ratio and intelligent
participants and occasional rants against M$ <G>
A lapse in the off-topic rants will suffice to acknowledge agreement.

One other request - questions/comments/flames to me * OFF LIST * pls.

--
Gregory A. Gilliss, CISSP                             Telephone: 1 650 872 2420
Computer Engineering                                   E-mail: greg@...liss.com