From: ericscher at mac.com (Eric Scher)
Subject: Re: Shift key breaks CD copy locks

 >++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=
I don`t know what you think about this, but in my opinion
will never exist a method to REALLY protect CDs, just because
I think that "if I can ear it, I can reproduce (and record) it".
The dsp could be redirected to hd or this kind of stuff
(just a stupid example).
I cannot really understand WHAT they are trying to do...
I cannot understand WHERE do they want to arrive...
Maybe they are trying to deny copy "for the masses",
but there will be always someone, writing a new cdcopy tool
"for the masses".
I think the force point and the weakness of a CD resides in its
"standard", if they could write their own standard format for every
song, they could write their own "player" and maybe they could "better"
protect their songs, btw (obvious) it will never be compatible with
OUR standard cdplayer.
This is *just* my opinion, maybe stupid, but I would really like
to listen to yours and understand...
 >++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

I think people get so focused on the technical aspects of copy
protection that they fail to notice what the RIAA is really doing.

It has nothing to do with stopping piracy and everything to do with
re-writing copyright law.

If the RIAA really wanted to kill piracy among the general population
they would simply do what Apple is already doing with their music
buying service.
Cable television proved many years ago that consumers will pay money
for something they could theoretically get for free if the service
provides enough utility and convenience to make it worthwhile.
Music servers where consumers could cheaply purchase any music they
wanted to, without the risks of using pirate filesharing software,
would eliminate all but a tiny amount of piracy.
But if the RIAA did that, then they wouldn't have an excuse to re-write
copyright law in such a way that you would have to purchase the same
content twice if you wanted to use it in two different places.

eric scher