From: rgerhards at hq.adiscon.com (Rainer Gerhards)
Subject: Windows covert channel

This is a well-known "issue" that was even part of the MCSE for NT 3.51
tutorial guides ;) Anyhow, it is still an issue, and the root cause for
others (like the IIS $$DATA information disclosure vulnerability). If
you google for it, you will also find tools to detect those alternate
data streams. There presence can be the indication for an attack ("can"
as in "may") ;)

Those of you doing forensics please keep in mind that ADS can be stored
in the MFT, only, if the amount of data is low enough so that it will
fit in the unallocated part of the 4k MFT entry.

Just my 2cts...
Rainer