From: eckman at umn.edu (Brian Eckman)
Subject: Windows hosts file changing.

David Gianndrea wrote:
> Kind of sounds like this...
>
> http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_100719.htm
>

> Kevin Gerry wrote:
>
>> Does -ANYBODY- know how it occurs?
>>
>> I've had this happen to a couple boxes of mine now...
>>
>> New one:
>> --
>> 127.0.0.1    localhost
>> 66.40.16.131    livesexlist.com
>> 66.40.16.131    lanasbigboobs.com
>> 66.40.16.131    thumbnailpost.com
>> 66.40.16.131    adult-series.com
>> 66.40.16.131    www.livesexlist.com
>> 66.40.16.131    www.lanasbigboobs.com
>> 66.40.16.131    www.thumbnailpost.com
>> 66.40.16.131    www.adult-series.com
>> --
>>
>> Any idea how the search site is replacing that? =/ It's starting to
>> piss me
>> off =/ I had some custom information in there that's now overwritten (Not
>> backed up)
>>
>> Thanks =/

Actually, I don't think it sounds a damn thing like Qhosts.

Qhosts modifies DHCP-issued DNS server settings in the registry, and
creates a new HOSTS file and tweaks the registry to use that HOSTS file.
It doesn't touch the original HOSTS file.

This post exhibits no Qhosts behavior, and Qhosts doesn't exhibit any
of this behavior. I think Daniel got it right - quit going to porn
sites. Better yet, quit going to porn sites advertised in Spam.

Also, to respond to another comment, the MS03-040 patch might *not*
address this type of attack on a system. Internet Explorer fully patched
with default settings *still* allows silent delivery and install of
executables. POC was sent to this list weeks ago.

Brian
--
Brian Eckman
Security Analyst

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who
understand binary and those who don't."